Monday, April 12, 2010

Leaving Lansing

Back while still young, I watched a movie entitled The Louisiana Story. Also about then, I "watched" Marjorie Kinnon Rawlins' "book," The Yearling. Both movies featured southern states' swamplands.

Because of inexperience and youthfulness, thereafter I "lionized" swamps.

Until now.

Let me explain. While reading Michigan's history I learn that after the state was formed, the founders by-passed Detroit as the capitol in favor of centralization. Accessibility they wanted. Bad choice. That explains why Lansing is "smack-dab" in the geographical center, never mind the square miles and miles of surrounding swamplands.

And while centralization is nice, swamps are not. Consequently, as one drives about, he encounters them--everywhere. They are not pretty; they are not productive--except for mosquitoes.

Time to go home.

No comments: