Friday, April 10, 2009

Lansing, Michigan Swamplands--4-10-09.

Having a blogspot is like owning a horse one never rides. Our blogspot is something I don't think about except when I am out of the house.

If such can be counted worthy to be called a "thought," let me describe one phase of this "Land of Many Waters."

Recently I heard this: "Way-back-when," Michigan statesmen wanted a centralized capitol city; something besides Detroit. So that's where they set their capitol--dead center--from the east, the west, and the south. Then they gave it a name, "Lansing." But in order to set it here, I am told, the founders had to drain vast swamp lands. That being done, they went to work building their city.

If that story is accurate, this area must have been really swampy because there is still lots and lots of swampland left. I mean LOTS of it! Today, for example, as Ranelle and I drove about we encountered swamps everywhere! And you can easily spot them because most are surrounded by hardwood trees--lots and lots of beautiful trees.

Personally I love it! I am charmed by the thousands of ponds, swamplands, and "woodlots." Not only do I like the trees, but I like the "green" ambience they provide. I also like the protection those woodlands provide for the wild friends living in them. But were I a farmer, or a builder, or a land developer, I would go nuts. Reason: the awful wasted potential use of the local land. And as bad as I hate the cold here, I can just imagine what it will be like once the mosquitoes start breeding! (If there happens to be enough left of me, come summertime, I may try describing what it is like swatting mosquitoes.)

We love Michigan! We are so happy living here. My one great wish would be to transport this magnificent water resource out to the arid west (there would still be enough water left over for Michigan, too!). If somehow one could import the water, he would see the state of Nevada feeding the nation, with Utah, Arizona and California feeding the rest of the world.

1 comment:

Mimi Collett said...

Your comments about water are so true. I remember when Jeff and I learned that "water rights" exist. Growing up in the midwest, neither of us had ever heard of them or even fathomed the concept that rain and water aren't free. I mean, we understood that you had a water bill to the city, etc., but water pretty seemed like a free thing for anyone to use. Definitely not so out here in the desert we learned! It is interesting how varied our great nation is geographically.